Thursday 31 March 2016

Alien Landscape












Here are some shots from my most recent personal work, Alien Landscape. To view all, CLICK HERE!

I recently went down to Devon for the weekend, and visited all our family's old beach haunts. Now, I've been to these beaches millions of times in my life - ever since I was very little - and have taken millions of photographs. I know them like the back of my hand. However, this time was different. I saw them differently. Recently, I've been getting into abstract and alien styles of work, such as artists like Filip HodasAlison Johnson and Slime Sunday. It was through the influence of these artists, (plus an absolute love for the beautiful, yet warped and experimental music of Baths - Favourite songs are currently 'Heart' & 'Maximalist') that when I went to my past-time beaches, I began to see them as alien lands. I had Interstellar in mind, and imagined myself in another world, on another planet, and photographed the natural forms accordingly.  

From these images, my three planets were born: Cochineal, Cerulean & Concretion. Imagine, if you will, that the images are taken on other planets, the shots used as records for the unexplored worlds. 



Come to think of it, this particular series is like an updated version of the incredibly popular Natural Forms post I made years ago (to date it has had 23,920 views!). Beware when viewing though, the photography is very old!

No comments:

Post a Comment